Monday, August 26, 2013

Welcome to Comm 211x

Greetings! My name is Sara Baker and I am your instructor for Comm 211x. I have been working in the field of communication studies for about a decade now. I started out working in marketing first for a hospital then for a government contracting firm. After a few years in marketing, I transitioned career paths and began working for the National Communication Association as their student organizations coordinator. I enjoyed that  job so much I decided to go back to school and begin a career as a communication instructor, researcher, and advocate. 

I received my B.A. in Communication Studies at Virginia Tech. GO HOKIES! 
And then after working for a while (Atlanta & D.C.), I returned to school to start my graduate studies. First, I received my M.A. from San Diego State University










After graduating with my M.A., I came to UNL to work on my PhD in Organizational Communication. 




I have been teaching intercultural communication courses for the past six years beginning first at San Diego State and then here at UNL. I am thrilled to be participating in this online classroom experience and I hope that I can be of assistance to each of you as we explore the impact of culture and communication in our everyday lives and in the world around us. 

I would like to welcome you to our class blog. This web site, Blogger.com, will serve as the site for our overall class blog (http://comm211xfall2013.blogspot.com/) and will also be where you will post your individual cultural reporter blogs. You will need to subscribe to this blog (http://comm211xfall2013.blogspot.com/). To subscribe to this blog, please email me that email address that you will be using to access Blogger.com. I will send you an invite to join the class blog. For additional information on both of these assignments please see the syllabus and also the assignment descriptions posted on our class Blackboard page.  

For this first blog, I would like you to introduce yourself to the class. Please answer the following questions to get you started:1) Background information - name, age, major, hometown, experience with online learning; 2) Why intercultural communication? What do you hope to learn?; 3) What are your interests/hobbies?; 4) Post a picture or 2. You could even make a short video introduction.

No comments:

Post a Comment