Thursday, August 29, 2013

Nina Jamesine Pickrel

Hello, all!  My name is Nina Pickrel.  I'm a computer science major from Lincoln, Nebraska.  I'm 20 years old, but only for another few weeks!  I'm one of those rare creatures that has never changed my major since starting college-I've been computer science pretty much right from the start.  Normally I much prefer going to an actual lecture, but I have taken a few online courses before.  I was glad that this course was offered online, as it fits my schedule much better this way.

I chose this class above the other options to fulfill my ACE 9 requirement because communication is a very undervalued skill in so many workplaces these days.  It is appalling how often I see or hear of time wasted in a company due to poor communication.  I hope to broaden my skills and learn to be a competent communicator in order to thrive in whatever career I end up taking.  Intercultural communication is especially important to me, as computers and technology are the main reason we can connect with people around the world.  Only in the last couple decades, communications with the rest of the world have jumped, all due to technology.

In my spare time, I really enjoy reading and writing stories.  I also like to play a lot of video games, and several table top games as well.  I also like archery, camping, and hiking.  I spend a lot of time with my friends, as well.  A lot of my time is also taken by my current job as a Quality Control Intern at Fiserv Banking Solutions.  All in all, I'm a very busy bee!

Last but not least, Go Big Red!

-Nina

No comments:

Post a Comment