Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Jesse McManus


Hello everyone, my name is Jesse McManus.  I am 22 years old and I was born and raised in Lincoln, NE.

I was previously a Pre Architecture major, but am now an Accounting major.  I originally came to UNL in Fall 2009 and I joined the Navy Reserves on September 2, 2010 after my first year.  I graduated boot camp in late October 29, 2010.  I then proceeded to "A-School", which is the school that teaches you how to do your job in the military.  I returned home in Lincoln, NE on February 28, 2011 and have been drilling at Offutt Air Force Base since then.  I am currently a Petty Officer Third Class and my ultimate goal is to get my bachelors, become an officer in the U.S. Navy, and continue on to a Masters.  Prior to going to boot camp I proposed to my high school sweet-heart, and got married on June 8, 2012.  We purchased our first home last August and got our first dog, Ares (not the zodiac sign "Aries" but the greek god haha), a red heeler or Australian Cattle Dog.

 I finally worked up the courage to register for classes again this last Spring semester and realized how much I have grown.  I cannot begin to explain how afraid I was to try to manage working full-time, going to school full-time, managing a military career and maintaining a household.  However, it has definitely showed me that I can do far more than I ever thought possible.  I just realized that I probably shared more information than necessary or wanted but I think it's important to remember that you never know what you are capable of unless you push the limits.

As far as my experience with online learning goes, this is my second time taking an online class at UNL.  Hopefully it isn't as taxing as AHIS101X!  I was not a fan haha.  However with my busy schedule an online class is extremely helpful!  I am taking this class because I have always been interested in Communication.  I hope to learn more effective ways to analyze the world I live in and to improve my communication skills.

My hobbies include playing guitar, listening to REGGAE music, working out, hunting and much more.  I just got back from Reggae on the Rocks in Colorado on Sunday, which was an amazingly fun time!  I am excited to get started and get into the groove of things!

No comments:

Post a Comment