Friday, November 22, 2013

Culture Reporter

                  My culture of interest is the LGBT community. I became interested in the community when I started to get really close to a few friends of mine that were gay. My main reason for researching this subject was to better understand what they went through growing up and identifying with the LGBT community. I also wanted to better understand the differences between a straight person’s experiences and a Lesbian, Gay, Bi, or Transgender person’s to see if anything connected. Although I have no problem with people who aren’t straight, I also wanted to make myself more familiar with the community. There are several factors that go into the development of a human being. Cross culture communication and identity development are big factors in whether a person can become comfortable identifying with the LGBT community.
            The concept I focused on was identity development. I approached this subject by focusing on the several aspects that make up one’s identity. These aspects included individualized, familial, spiritual, gender, sexual orientation, age, and racial identity. Each aspect shed a new light on the individual impact on the identity as a whole. It was especially important for me to focus on researching each component since so many people who identify as lesbian, gay, transgender, or bi can have issues with identity development through positive and negative influences. Some things that help with coming out were family and social support, acceptance in school, and a liberal relationship with others. Some things that led to people feeling as if they couldn’t be themselves were no social support, religion, and being bullied in high school. These influences both positive and negative eventually lead to an individual either becoming comfortable in the LGBT community or not addressing the person they really are.
            The first theme I noticed throughout my research was that bullying through adolescence is eminent. Each person I interviewed had internal struggles with the effects of bullying which often led to drastic changes in their identities. Bullying can be a struggle for any kid but it is especially difficult for individuals that are trying to find their place in the LGBT community. John Rector statesAfter I came out I got bullied more. Before that, people just kind of suspected it so the people that would have bullied me before, but weren’t sure, had a reason now.” (Rector, 2013)  These individuals are already struggling with identity development and then have the added pressure from their peers that are tearing them down. Bullying can lead to the individual hiding the fact that they are gay or far worse consequences. According to bullyingstatistics.org, “Gay and lesbian teens are two to three times as more likely to commit teen suicide than other youths.” This proves that during the high school years it is especially hard for teens to deal with identifying with the LGBT community and admitting to others that they are gay.
            The next thing I noticed was that religion had a considerable effect on whether the person decided not to tell others they were lesbian, gay, transgender, or bi. I also noticed that religion had an effect on how long it took for the person to except that they were indeed lesbian, transgender, or, bi. Ana-leigh Avery stated that she was forced to go to church growing up, but when she came out to her family they did not support her because it was against their religion (Avery, 2013). Sydnie Murphy chose to stay with her church and not be open about being a lesbian in the church setting she stated, “I think there would be so many more gay Christians if the church was more accepting. They [gay people] won’t be open to the idea of religion even if they wanted to…And it’s shameful of Christians to make people feel that way.” (Murphy, 2013) Sydnie is currently battling whether it would be better to keep quiet about her true identity or come out as being a lesbian and face the “consequences.”
            The final theme I noticed was the effect of family and social support. When individuals had strong family support they were able to be more comfortable with themselves and more public about being lesbian or gay. Dustin Hayes stated, “My siblings were accepting off the bat but my mother and father were the last to come around. My grandparents even came around before they did.”(Hayes, 2013). Social support from others outside the family is also an important factor. Without the support of friends individuals have a hard time being openly gay and tend to hide their true selves from others. Ana-leigh expressed her internal struggle with coming out to her friends by saying, “Friendships became a little uncomfortable; especially with girls. You don’t want them to think that you will disrespect their friendship” (Avery, 2013). Working on rebuilding friendships is an unfortunate consequence of admitting to one’s true identity. Sydney struggled with the fact that she has lost friends from coming out as a lesbian, “I feel like I have the people I need, but I wish I had everyone. I live a life where I lose half the people I love over the way I want to live.” (Murphy, 2013)
            Through researching this community I found that people in the LGBT community experience a lot of internal struggles. These struggles occur mostly through the teen years and usually don’t get solved until the early 20’s. In order to resolve this conflict one must come to terms with themselves as well as others without compromising their identity. I found that religion can make one deny that they are gay or hide who they really are in order to make others happy. This can lead to bigger problems  later such as low self-confidence and low social interaction. Social support is very important. The people who received little or no social support took longer to be comfortable with themselves and identify with the LGBT community. These interviews and research have opened my eyes to the daily struggles of these individuals and I can’t imagine the strength it takes to stand up for who you are when the world is trying to push you down.




References
Bullying statistics. (n.d.). Retrieved from http://www.bullyingstatistics.org/content/gay-bullying-  statistics.html
Hayes, D. (2013, October 30). Interview by M Waltemath []. Lgbt community.
Murphy, S. (2013, October 27). Interview by M Waltemath []. Lgbt community.
Rector, J. (2013, October 30). Interview by M Waltemath []. Lgbt community.

Avery, A. (2013, October 28). Interview by M Waltemath []. Lgbt community.

No comments:

Post a Comment