Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Intercultural Relationships- Eaton


            My sister and I are very different.  Rachel has long, dark, curly hair while I have blond and straight.  Rachel enjoys nature, fields, and the wind, while I would prefer to watch it on the Discovery Channel.  Rachel is compassionate and thoughtful, while I avoid emotional situations and lack self-analysis.  But there is one thing that keeps our sibling relationship going: our shared love for Beyoncé.  We are both obsessed, and this is our big connection.  But even with this, our three-year difference in age is noticeable.


            We both gain from our age variance.  I learn about her high school culture, and she’s updated in the real-life college culture, which she will be attending next year.  Rachel also keeps me up-to-date on our family life.  She lets me know the latest happenings with the rest of our family, as I am the oldest of four and hundreds of miles away at college.  But Rachel has acquired much knowledge about college life through me.  Her junior year, the college search process became a reality for her and she is continually seeking advice and information about my day-to-day life.  Psychology Today even found that many sister siblings bond to share their resources and ideas (Marano 2010).  While I gain knowledge from her about high school changes (like how the tennis team is compared to when I played) and our family, she is learning from me about the out-of-state college experience.



            Even though I was a high school student not long ago, I find my sister breaking that teenager stereotype often when talking with her.  She’s not boy-crazy, a shop-a-holic, or acts selfishly.  I can be tough on her, but her mature personality shines through.  At college, I think I am breaking the sorority girl stereotype for my sister as well.  She thinks we’re a large group of girls that hangs out, paints each other’s nails, and watches movies every night.  This is not the case.  In fact, I have emphasized that we all still have alone time, and the sorority is a lot more “real” than is depicted in movies and television shows.  Our age difference allows us to recognize these stereotypes and their disparities.
            However, there are also some challenges with our relationship.  As Rachel is still a teenager, I notice when she is acting overemotionally or being dramatic, and sometimes don’t act nicely towards parents or siblings.  I was similar in high school, and I do recognize this.  She also is very indecisive and, as I am not, it really bothers me.  At both our ages we are rather busy, so it is hard to keep in touch and see each other as well, so this has posed to be a challenge. 
            The personal-contextual dialectic is situational.  There are some instances in which the individuals are consistently comfortable, whereas other areas, topics, or instances result in more discomfort (Martin and Nakayama 2013, p. 397).  My sister and I are always comfortable around each other for the most part.  We do save some topics for friends, however.  This includes things having to do with social behavior, like parties, along with romance topics.  I don’t care to share about each other’s love lives; I just don’t feel comfortable doing so.  I am glad to note that we are always comfortable with how we look or act in front of each other, regardless of how embarrassing it may be.  I think our sibling relationship is much similar to most, there just is a certain line.  Certain conversation topics are handled better when talking to friends.
            The differences-similarities dialectic points out that people are more drawn to others who share their same similarities.  This leads to cognitive consistency; liking others who share our views, since we tend to like ourselves.  Obviously, Rachel and my relationship is a little different than the example of attraction discussed in the book (Martin and Nakayama 2013, p. 398).  I still do feel that Rachel and I bond over our similarities and avoid each other’s differences.  Again, Rachel is much more emotion-based, and I tend to stray away from her emotions.  I also avoid any drama that has to do with high school and her friend group.  I feel that since I recently graduated from those high school days, I don’t want to be brought back to them.  Rachel doesn’t ask me about my social life as much, either, because I am a little more outgoing than her.  A final example could be in relation to television shows, as low-culture as that is.  We both share a love for How I Met Your Mother, and watch that on a regular basis together.  However, I love Breaking Bad and she loves One Tree Hill.  We both haven’t adopted each other’s television shows and don’t plan to.  These differences in television shows are addressed, but we tend to avoid those. 

            While Rachel and I have our differences and might avoid certain topics haphazardly in a conversation, I feel that, despite our differences in age, our intercultural relationship works out very well.  In fact, the U.S. News and World Report found that siblings encourage us to be different from them (Lyon 2009).  Rachel and I have maintained a good amount of dissimilarities in our lives, and I think that because of this, we are actually closer. 





Lyon, L.  (2009).  7 ways your siblings may have shaped you.  U.S. News and World Report.  Retrieved from http://health.usnews.com/health-news/family-health/articles/2009/07/31/7-ways-your-siblings-may-have-shaped-you?page=2

Marano, H. E.  (2010)  Oh, brother!  Psychology Today.  Retrieved from http://www.psychologytoday.com/articles/201006/oh-brother

Martin, J.N. & Nakayama, T.K.  (2013).  Intercultural Communication in Contexts (6th ed.)  New York, N.Y. : McGraw Hill. 

No comments:

Post a Comment