Friday, December 6, 2013

Caps 6

Caps 6

Chapter 10 in the book focused on the types of relationships that can develop between cultures.  In this day and age Intercultural friendships are becoming more and more common.  In the text book a friend is describe as “someone to see or talk with occasionally, someone to go do things with” (401 Nakayama, Martin).  To some friends are made very easily and to others building a friendship takes time.  Personally I find many of my friends and I share at least one common interest which acts as our link or bond.  Based on that link we have developed many other shared interest but it took at least one link to create a friend.  I think the results would be anonymous if I asked if any of you had a friend that you have nothing in common with. I think everyone of you would say no.  The reason I choose intercultural friendship as my key term from the chapter is because I have become close friends with a Korean guy named mike who shares a passion with me which is the love of duck hunting. 



Now I have been a hunter all my life and from my perspective there is not much cultural diversity in the sport of hunting.  Primarily, it is all white males and some females that enjoy hunting wild game.  Meeting mike has broadened my view on hunting and has demonstrated that hunting can be for anyone and just because Mike is a different race other hunters should not view him any differently.  I think most have a hard time accepting the fact that Mike hunts and so he feels as though he should hide his outdoorsman side while in the general public.  Mike refuses to wear any camo or have any hunting gear on while in the general public and only puts on his gear once he has reached the duck blind.  Overall,  I think using line of sight which is stated as “information about other people’s identity based upon visible physical characteristics” (410 Nakayama, Martin) is a bad way to create a friendship.  I think we all can find one if not many connections with intercultural strangers all you have to do is find a common interest to get the friendship ball rolling.

No comments:

Post a Comment